Y’all, I can’t believe this day is actually here. This is it. The last “official” day of Blaugust. When this post goes up, I’ll have officially written a month’s worth of blog posts.
There were a few days in the middle of the week where I seriously questioned whether or not this was a good idea. There were absolutely a few days where I considered giving up entirely because let’s face it. As a returning blogger, writing a blog post a day for an entire month was kind of a ridiculous (albeit wonderful) idea.
I had no idea if I was going to be able to come up with enough content to fill the past 30 days. Even on days where I legitimately struggled with content to fill voids in my content calendar, I still figured out something to post.
And if I’m being honest with you all, I’m really proud of myself.
After all, I got this blog off the ground. I wrote all of those posts, and I think I may have (finally) figured out this self-hosted blog thing. And I learned a lot, too.
What did I learn? Well…
- Make sure you double-check your comment settings if you actually want people to leave comments on and interact with your posts. (SPOILER: I did not actually do this the first day. Thank you to the Blaugust community at large for helping me troubleshoot that.)
- It’s okay to admit when you don’t know what to post.
- Planning posts ahead of time is a freaking godsend and a content calendar can help you see at a glance what days you have content for and what you don’t.
- Even if you have days on that calendar that are empty, don’t panic! You will be able to fill that gap with something.
- Stay afraid but do the damn thing, anyway. Your life will be better for doing it.
- It’s okay to admit if you need a break and actually take it if you need to.
- Find a community of like-minded folks to either toss around post ideas with or just to cheer each other on.
- And most importantly, HAVE FUN.
I guess the most important question out of all of this, though, is this: would I do this again if Belghast runs another Blaugust?
Yeah. Yeah, I think I would. I personally think it would be interesting to try this again in a year and see if it’s any easier or more difficult with a year of blogging experience under my belt. But that’s something for future me to think about. I still have to figure out a year’s worth of blog posts in the interim.
For now, though, I think it might be time for a well-deserved break.